Sunday, April 10, 2011

Accountability

Today I am going to be sharing about accountability and the dramatic impact it has had on my life. I shudder to think about where my life would be without it. And just to warn you.... apparently I get a little passionate about this subject once I get going.... :)

First of all... what is the textbook definition of accountability:
  • Definition of ACCOUNTABILITY

: the quality or state of being accountable; especially : an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions.

Next... what does being held accountable mean in my life? Well over the last few years I have been in several different accountability groups.... they have ranged from just getting together to see how we can be praying for each other, to reading a chapter in the Bible each week so we can dive in and discuss it when the group meets. There is really no right or wrong way to have an accountability/discipleship group if the LORD is the focus and stronghold of the group! 

Sometimes a group can get side-tracked and start throwing in our own personal opinions about situations, but the absolute best way to seek Godly counsel for any and every situation is through the God-breathed, God-inspired WORD OF GOD

Since October I have been involved in a discipleship group that one of my friends started; this group has dramatically changed my life for the better! We meet once a week and discuss a chapter from the Bible we all read that week... then sometimes we go over some questions from a discipleship brochure to see how each of us are doing... such as:
  • Would someone look at your life and heart this past week and see fruit or thorns? 
  • What areas of your life need change? What specifically can we pray about? Do you have a plan in place?
  • What changes in your thinking need to be made in your life? Where are you still using your opinion, experience, or thoughts?
 These are just a few of the questions we ask each other... and I have to admit... there are some weeks I really do NOT like my answers and would prefer not to answer these questions at all. But then that would not be an accountability group would it??? That would just be a group to get together and superficially see how things are going with your friends. 

After becoming involved in this one discipleship/accountability group I have felt the Lord lead me to start another such group. Both of these groups are literally the high-light of my week. Sometimes it is really hard to go and share what changes need to be made in my thinking or some deep issues that the Lord is calling me to work on in my life. I mean, who really wants to share our secrets with our peers??? But the Lord has blessed this openness and sharing in my life.

It is also hard sometimes to call each other in our discipleship group... sometimes I really do not want to confront one of my accountability friends about something, but if the Lord is calling me to say something and back it up with SCRIPTURE, then I need to follow through and do what the Lord is asking me to do, no mater how uncomfortable it makes both of us feel. That is the purpose of an accountability group: to let the Lord use each one of us to direct each other in the Word and to be lifting each other up in prayer so that we can each be strengthened in the Lord. The purpose of accountability and discipleship is for each of us to grow stronger IN THE LORD!

I love how sometimes in my discipleship group, we often do not even have enough time to answer the questions, but instead are so busy sharing MULTIPLE verses and passages that the Lord has revealed to us in the previous week. How cool is that???

Now, enough of me sharing... Here are some pretty awesome truths from the Bible regarding accountability and discipleship:

 Ecclesiastes 4:12 (verses 7-12 are great!)
"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."
  • God totally uses us to help each other during trials and temptations to help each other stand firm.
Philippians 2:2
"Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose."

Galatians 6:1-3
"Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each others burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important."
  • This is why a cord of three strands is so important, with two one person may be able to pull the other person away from the Lord, but with three people, the one person who is struggling would have a lot harder time pulling the other two away from the Lord. Instead the two who are not struggling with an issue can seek guidance from the Holy Spirit and help the third person to arm themselves with the armor of God.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 
"So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing."

Matthew 28:19
  • By strengthening each other, an accountability group is that much more strong to go out and share with others the amazing and radical changes Jesus Christ has made in their life.
Proverbs 18:24
"There are 'friends' who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother."

Matthew 18:20
"For where tow or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them."

And one of my favorites right now, because of the HUGE impact my accountability/discipleship groups have had on my life:

Proverbs 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron,
so a friend sharpens a friend."

  • So... going back to the textbook definition of accountability, this seems so flat and dry after the type of accountability I have experienced in my life. The accountability I have been experiencing is impacting and stretching me in so many ways; and encouraging and challenging my personal walk with the Lord!

This is a really long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it. Obviously this is something I feel very strongly about. If you ever want to discuss this more, let me know!

Blessings,
Kate 

No comments:

Post a Comment